Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Zoey's Story



It was the morning of September 10, 2008. Bright and early (well at least for a college student) at the hour of 7:00 am, the girls on my floor met for prayer and muffins. This morning’s prayer was very different than prayers I have had in the past. Instead of using our breath to speak to God, we silently waited upon God to speak to us. This form of prayer was very difficult and frustrating. I could not discern the difference between what my own crazy thoughts were and what the voice of God was. However, I just kept listening and finally for some reason the country Cambodia for the rescued people came to my head. I was thoroughly confused as to why this random country, I could not even locate on a map, came to my thoughts. I decided to keep the country and the rescued people in my prayers until God revealed to me further what his plans were.

It was about a month later that God showed me his plans for this country. It was at IWU's mission chapel service. This service was devoted to different countries and mission opportunities within those countries. It was neat to see each country and what God was doing, but none of them spoke to me personally. That was until the country Cambodia came up. All of a sudden, God revealed to me his plans and purpose for the prayer a month prior. He laid it upon my heart that I was to sign up to be a part of the mission team going to Cambodia that coming May. So I did just that. About two weeks later I was accepted onto the team and began preparing to go to Cambodia. Yet I was still unsure what he had meant by the “rescued” people. However, I trusted him and continued to pray for them and my ministry in country.


When our team arrived in Cambodia, we taught English to children in villages. After a couple weeks someone mentioned the idea of going to World Hope's human trafficking assessment center. The assessment center is the place where girls who were rescued from human trafficking are placed until they find permanent safe houses for the girls. As soon as the opportunity arose, I jumped at the chance to go and serve these girls. Little did I know that this is exactly what God meant by Cambodia for the RESCUED...these girls were RESCUED from human trafficking!!!!


The day came for when we got to go in and see the girls. As we entered their secretive living quarters, the girls were jumping up and down with excitement to see us. The first child I noticed was a small, toothless, five year old with the biggest smile you would ever see. It broke my heart to think about the pain and suffering this girl has already been through in her five years of living. After the initial shock of seeing the young girls, we made bracelets and played many different games with them. I was delighted to see how much they laughed and enjoyed life. They were like any other child that I have met, but with a horrible and retched past.


--------------------------------------------------

Through this wonderful Trip in Cambodia, God has worked so strongly in my life. He has developed my passion for stopping human trafficking. As soon as I arrived back in the states, I changed my major to social work and decided to live my life for Christ on the mission field. My desire is to go and help fight against this major injustice!


No comments:

Post a Comment