Sunday, February 21, 2010

Katelyn's Story


I have always loved the "bad boy". As a kid, I found myself sympathizing with the evil characters in movies and feeling bad for the students in my class that would get in trouble. This continued as I grew older. For a while, I wanted to be a prison chaplain in a women's prison, and then I wanted to teach in an intercity school so I could be with the toughest of the tough kids. I cannot help myself when it comes to those that are hard to love. I seem to love them a little too much. One day, I was complaining about this when my dad said one of the wisest things I have ever heard. He said, "Katelyn, you love the "bad boys" because somehow you find that one little bit of good in them, and you hold on to that little bit of good for dear life." He was so true.

So why am I telling you this? I became informed of human trafficking when I was sixteen years old. I went to an awareness event going on in a little town close to my home. At this event, they had rooms set up with different statistics where you could go in an pray specifically for a certain issue with human trafficking. The room I found myself most consumed with was, of course, the room praying for those who are fueling the human trafficking industry. The pimps, the clients,and the ones that know there is something going on down the street but do nothing about it. These are the people that are heavy on my heart. They all have a story of how they got where they are. They all need Christ. They are all, in their own way, chained as well.

This is not to say I am justifying their sin. What they are doing is horrific. I don't think anyone could argue that. What I am saying is if we are not praying for those that are doing the hurting, we will forever be trying to help the hurt. I want to END human trafficking. This can only be done with a change of heart and the expulsion of the sin itself. Matthew 5:44, "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you," I encourage you to be praying for these people.

In the mean time, we need to give a voice to those that cannot speak. That is why I am a part of Break the Chains. People need to know what is going on all over the world. We are called to "speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly;defend the rights of the poor and the needy." (Proverbs 31:8-9) This is how I am living out this verse. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment